Starting out? New to using Modern Cloth Nappies? When it comes to cloth there’s a few basics you might want to organise in addition to your new nappy stash- including your wash routine.
For Full time nappy use, you will need:
- 20-25 Day Nappies if full time (more if you want to wash less often)
- 5 Night Nappies or boosting inserts to bulk day Nappies
- Biodegradable Nappy Liners (optional)
- 15-25 Cloth Baby Wipes
- Manufacturer Recommended Detergent or pre soak.
- Large dry pail
- small container for used nappy liners
- Nappy Change Mat/table for home
- Portable Change Mat and Nappy Bag for when out and about
- spatula or silicone scrubbing brush (helps to remove poo when not using liners)
You will also need to work out a wash routine, this may seem daunting but it’s not, we can help you work out a wash routine.
Basic MCN Wash Routine that we use at home:
Disclaimer: Information is provided as General Guide only, please refer to each Nappy’s manufacturers instructions, washing incorrectly may void warranty.
- Remove Solids and Hand Rinse:
Knock/Scrape/rinse solid waste from Nappy/liners into the loo and rinse any residual poo from nappy- using a silicon scrubber to help remove waste whilst rinsing. Use Sard or similar to pretreat any stains, wring out any water as best you can, then store the used cloth nappy in a dry pail. Wee nappies can be put straight in dry pail.
- Pre-wash cycle (30-45 min):
Run a pre-wash cycle Max 40-60 degrees with detergent every 1-2 days.. the pre-wash aims to remove excess soiling from nappies prior to the main wash. Dry pail if you are not following on with a Main Wash.
- Main-wash cycle (2-3 Hour Cottons/Heavy Duty Wash):
Run a long main-wash cycle Max 40-60 degrees with detergent every 2-3 days. Use recommended detergent for load size.
Line dry where possible, take care when using tumble dryer (excessive heat can damage shells and void warranty) tumble dry on a gentle low heat if needed.
When hanging Inserts to dry, stretch them out to maximum shape.
We recommend writing out your wash routine and hanging it near the washing machine, that way if your partner or other family members want to help out they can follow the directions.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org